We are your aging and disability resource connection.


(Pre-Admission Screening System Providing Options and Resources Today)

The purpose of PASSPORT is to provide older individuals in need of nursing home services with an in home alternative. PASSPORT permits individuals who live in a home setting to receive services paid for by Medicaid and state funds. The average yearly cost for PASSPORT is one third the cost of a nursing facility.

How do I qualify for PASSPORT?

The primary criteria for enrollment in PASSPORT are age, level of care, and income.

  • Individuals age 60 years and older and agreeable to participate
  • Meet financial requirements for assets/income
  • Meet nursing home level of care (assistance with activities of daily living)
  • Have a physician's approval
  • Health needs can be met safely in the home
  • Reside in a non-institutional setting
  • Needs are not being met by current community services

How much does this cost?

  • There is no charge for an in-home assessment to discuss your needs and options.
  • There is no charge for PASSPORT services if you are under a set income level.  If you are over the income level, you may choose to pay a monthly amount determined at the time of enrollment or decline enrollment.

What happens at an assessment?

A nurse or social worker visits you in your home to assess your needs and discuss options.  You will answer many questions and the assessor will observe your level of independence.  The assessor will need to review documentation of income and assets to make a preliminary determination about your eligibility for in-home assistance.  If enrolled in one of our home care programs, you will work with the assessor to develop an initial plan of care.

If you qualify for Medicaid but are not currently enrolled, the assessor can assist with completion of the Medicaid application.  You must then follow up with the application process through the Department of Job and Family Services. 

What information should I have ready for my assessment?

In order for the assessor to determine your eligibility for in-home assistance, you must be willing to provide the following information at the time of assessment:

  • Social security card
  • Medicare card, if you have one
  • Proof of age
  • Proof of income
  • Insurance documents
  • Proof of assets
  • Your doctors’ names, addresses, and phone numbers
  • Your medical problems
  • Medicines and treatments you are receiving
  • Names of family or friends who help you
  • Names of any agencies currently providing help
  • Guardianship paperwork
  • Power of Attorney paperwork

Who decides what services I will have?

During the assessment visit, you will discuss with staff the areas where you need help at home and services available to you.  A care plan with a package of services is then developed to meet your needs.  This collaborative effort includes staff, the senior receiving services and caregivers. 

Can I qualify for PASSPORT if I’ve been denied Medicaid in the past?

PASSPORT is funded by a Medicaid Waiver that differs from traditional Medicaid, and therefore you may qualify for Medicaid even if you have been denied in the past.  If you provide income and asset information to our assessor, a preliminary determination can be made during the in-home assessment.  The assessor can also assist in completion of the Medicaid application, but you must follow up with the application process through the Department of Job and Family Services.

Do not let a past denial stop you from getting the services you need.

Does estate recovery apply to PASSPORT?

Yes.  PASSPORT is a Medicaid program, and under federal and state law, the state may recover money paid for your Medicaid benefits from your estate.  The purpose of estate recovery is to allow states to recoup some of the tax dollars invested in Medicaid, in order to reduce the escalating cost of one of the largest and fastest growing government programs.  See our Medicaid section for more information.

Services that are available include:

  • Personal Care Assistance
  • Homemaker
  • Nursing
  • Home Delivered Meals
  • Chore
  • Emergency Response System
  • Adult Day Services
  • Transportation
  • Minor Home Modification
  • Home Medical Equipment and Supplies
  • Social Work Counseling
  • Nutrition Consultation
  • Pest Control

Who do I call?

We encourage you to call our agency to answer any questions or concerns about the PASSPORT program and other services available to individuals and their caregivers.  Just dial 419-222-7723 or toll free 1-800-653-7723 to speak with an agency representative.

Click to Apply Now


Public Notice Summary:  PASSPORT

Click Here to view the PASSPORT Amendment

Conversion from a 209(b) State to a Section 1634 State
Click Here to view the Public Notice and Request for Comment